Now students can see upcoming course availability and reserve a spot instantly!Read More
As the new craze of facial injections takes over, one has to ask... what is Botox? How do lip injections work? Why so pricey and is it really worth it? Evolution has your answers! First and foremost, fillers and Botox should not leave you looking “fake” or unnatural in any way!
Dr. Robert Guida, a leading facial plastic surgeon in Manhattan who does these procedures daily, says "If people start looking the same, the surgeon is doing it wrong," he says. "Fillers should enhance one's facial expressions, natural appearance, and individuality." Dr. Guida continues with, "An inexperienced surgeon will inject in areas that deflect the natural movement of the face. For instance, fillers placed on the top of cheeks cause the eyes to move upwards, which gives the appearance of unnatural tightness. When fillers are placed on the fullest part of the cheeks, they give a natural supple look, which also lifts other features, such as the jaw line and corners of the mouth."
Botulinum toxin – aka Botox - is a natural, purified protein that is used to temporarily relax facial muscles that cause lines and wrinkles. It can also be used to treat medical conditions such as hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Botox is the original and best-known brand name and the most tested product on the market. It is the safest product, and it is certified in the medical and cosmetic field.
Botox is the top facial injection. An interest in lip injections (we can thank Kylie Jenner!) has increased over the past few years. There are very few side effects to lip injections and are almost entirely painless. Some bruising on or around the lips can occur, especially in patients who have indulged in alcohol or taken aspirin or other blood thinners prior to the procedure. As for the rest of the recovery process, it's hassle-free. Patients can expect to debut their new puckers within just a few hours. If swelling occurs it goes down the next day. The effects of lip injections can last months and sometimes even years depending on how quickly each individual's body breaks down the injectable solution.
Come join us January 20th and meet Dr. Patel for a free consultation from 6-9PM at Evolution Lash Studio & Spa for our second Injectable Party!
Khloe Kardashian summed up 2016 perfectly... "The new year is a good time to reflect on the baby steps I've taken, and how I've evolved. Not everything is a f--king race — it's the marathon of life! I think it's so important to acknowledge the evolution." Well said Khloe, and that’s exactly what I want to dedicate my last blog of 2016 to – Evolution.
I opened my new location exactly a year ago December 1 and as many of you know, 2016 has been filled with many ups and downs along the way. Although I am happy I don’t have to relive many of the lows of this year, looking back from where I am today I wouldn’t change anything; I’ve learned so much more for 2016’s life hard lessons. Most of all, I am so grateful for continuing to move forward with my dream and my wonderful amazing clients.
Through Evolution Lash Studio and Spa, I have been blessed to meet such amazing people who brighten my days. They have all taught me so much, gave me honest advice when needed, and most importantly loyal support and encouragement throughout my journey. Truly I appreciate my clients who bring me such positivity and have become dear friends. Thank you to everyone from the bottom of my heart who has believed in me and Evolution Lash Studio and Spa.
ORIBE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
By far, this is my top favorite product line for my hair. Everyone who knows me knows by my work alone. I will always pick quality over quantity – and my hair is no exception to this rule. Oribe hair line is heaven sent, especially if you dye your hair like myself. These products are definitely on the pricier side. However, I don’t mind the splurge, and here’s why. The shampoo formula blends centuries-old healing oils and extracts with modern technology to rejuvenate and strengthen damaged locks from the inside out. Yes I said the inside out! Therefore, every wash revitalizes tired hair, returning it to a healthier, younger state, and simultaneously shields tresses from future damage.
In addition to the rejuvenating and strengthening treatment I get from every wash, I’m obsessed with the scent it leaves on my hair! It never leaves my hair feeling weighed down or dried out. After falling in love with this line, I wanted to try their Gold Lust shampoo. I found this to be the perfect daily shampoo for color treated hair. I have been using this line for years and never has it left my hair color looking dull or faded. Oribe conditioner is just as amazing! For those with dry or damaged hair and split ends, this is what you’re looking for.
TEXTURIZING HAIR SPRAY ouai
Like dry shampoo and hair spray had a baby! This ultra-lightweight hair spray builds incredible volume and texture. Its' formula absorbs oil and leaves your hair looking refreshed. Best part – no animal testing! I love recommending this to my clients because it’s the perfect fit for all hair types.
✔ Tightly Coiled
The key benefits are that it builds volume and texture, absorbs oil, and refreshes hair. This talc-free multi-tasker is the ultimate go to product to achieve innately cool model-off-duty hair. The formula keeps hair looking full all day and night with more hold than a dry shampoo.
*Style tip: mist it on dry hair and scrunch strands out with your fingers for a loose, lived-in look. Flip hair upside down and spray for instantly fresh-looking hair. This product is scented with Ouai No. 3 Fragrance, containing notes of Italian bergamot, water lily, and white musk.
Have you ever spotted a red lipstick you loved on your friend, but when you tried it on yourself, it just didn’t look quite right? We’ve all been there! I love the classic bold red lip especially this time of year! It just makes the colder days that much warmer! But the struggle of finding that perfect shade of red to make it YOUR RED can be a bit frustrating. Here is a simple guide to help pick your perfect red, based off of your skin tone!
FAIR WITH COOL UNDERTONES complexion
Think of Cameron Diaz’s complexion. The goal is to pick the perfect shade of red that “complements and warms up the cool pink undertones found in very fair skin,” says Cameron Diaz’s makeup artist Robin Fredriksz. A raspberry lipstick like Bite’s Cashmere Lip Cream in Sancerre would be perfect and won’t break the bank! ($28; sephora.com)
FAIR complexion WITH RED HAIR
Don’t believe the lies! Redheads can rock a bold red lip! The trick is to look for a red with orange undertones. You can even try a coral based red, especially those with fair skin. It adds a flash of color to the milky tone that wasn't there before. My top pick is NYX Cosmetics' Butter Lipstick in Hot Tamale ($6; ulta.com).
A pinkish-red, like Lipstick Queen’s Velvet Rope in Private Party ($50; spacenk.com), is best suited for medium-light complexions. I also like to use Tarte’s Amazonian Butter Lipstick ($16) and Flower Kiss Stick in Rosey Garden ($7) on my clients with Medium-Light complexion.
A deep vivid berry like NARS’ Satin Lip Pencil in Luxembourg ($26; narscosmetics.com) brings warmth and radiance to golden skin tones. My other top picks for clients with golden complexion are Soap amp Glory’s Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Lacquer in Riot ($24; sephora.com) and my all time favorite Yves Saint Laurent Gloss Volupte-207 ($32; barneys.com)
MEDIUM WITH YELLOW UNDERTONES
Olive skin, let me introduce you to orange! Complexions with yellow undertones turn a glowing tan with a little help from a tangerine-tinged bullet. I love to recommend Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Color in Blazing Red ($26; bobbibrowncosmetics.com)
MEDIUM WITH NEUTRAL UNDERTONES
A warm natural undertone complexion is the perfect match for a blue-red! I love CoverGirl's lipstick in Garnet Flame ($7; covergirl.com), a perfect shade of red to compliment a medium with neutral undertone complexion for this holiday season! My other favorites are NARS Audacious Lipstick in Carmen and Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Color in Hollywood.
TAN WITH WARM UNDERTONES
Think Rihanna! There's not much those with a similar complexion can’t pull off! However I would suggest narrowing it down to an orange-based red such as Tom Ford Lip Color in Wild Ginger ($50; tomford.com)
DARK WITH WARM UNDERTONES
Taking a note from Jennifer Hudson’s makeup artist, Yolonda Frederick-Thompson, “An opaque blue based red like MAC’s Ruby Woo ($16; maccosmetics.com) creates a gorgeous contrast with dark caramel complexions.” Another one of my favorites is Dior’s Diorific Haute Couture Long Wearing Lipstick in Dolce Vita ($36; dior.com)
With the holidays around the corner and the colder weather setting in, our skin needs extra TLC more than ever! What better way to look after your skin than with a Hydrating Facial at Evolution Lash Studio & Spa? Hydrating Facial, also known as the HydraFacial, is the answer for all skin types infused with pure, nurturing moisture which makes this the perfect gift to treat yourself or someone special.
Skin care specialists recommend having a professional facial every three weeks. This is because your skin moves through the full life cycle of skin cell growth and exfoliation within a 3 week time period. Think of facials as our skin’s way of working out, without the sweat!
I’m so excited to declare Evolution Lash Studio & Spa HydraFacial the IT facial of the season because the results last! Yes, that’s right – one treatment results will have you glowing, even days later! I especially love how smooth your makeup applies and sets to your skin once receiving this facial! Everyone will be asking you what you're wearing! You can tell them that your foundation is your own flawless skin!
Evolution Lash Studio & Spa offers an amazing procedure that combines cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, hydration, and antioxidant protection simultaneously. There is no discomfort or downtime and the treatment is non-invasive, and non-irritating. So ladies, no need to clear your schedule or have to miss out on any holiday get-togethers this season! HydraFacial will leave you feeling fresh and beautiful, along with hydrated skin and a long-lasting healthy glow you can’t wait to show off!
In addition to the immediate benefits of the HydraFacial, the long term effects for your skin is what makes this the IT facial of the season!
-Nourishment of dull, lifeless, and rough skin
- Reduces Fine Lines & Wrinkles
-Removes Blackheads, especially from hard to reach areas
-Removes Dry Skin Cells allowing the rich face treatment oils and long-lasting, replenishing products to deliver hydration deep into the skin
-Allows makeup to look smoother and set better when applied
-Healthy Skin Glow
Eyelash Extensions can be daunting, but when done correctly they can make you look ultra-glamorous-- even on your laziest makeup days.
1. DO YOUR RESEARCH
There are a lot of eyelash extension horror stories, so it pays to do your homework. Yelp it up and see which places make the cut. Visit the salon directly and get a feel for the technicians. Ask questions about their experience and expertise.
Don't pay too much OR too little
2. Be Realistic About Your Results
If your natural lashes are short and sparse and you want bold, heavy, dramatic, super thick lashes, you may need to rethink your options. Your lashes are delicate creatures that need TLC, so something more natural may be your best natural may be your best option. Heavy lashes on shorter, thinner lashes is like carrying a full grocery bag on your pinky finger-- you can do it, but why?
Remember: No strain means no lost lashes.
3. Opt for Synthetic Mink
Premium lashes are made of mink, which are delicate, soft, and natural looking. These are often the go-to-extensions when it comes to luxury. However, they are not as durable as their synthetic counterparts, they require more maintenance, and they're very pricey. Mink lashes can also cause allergic reactions for those with animal allergies. Synthetic mink, though less soft, is more durable. This, along with being lightweight with a "real lash look," makes synthetic mink a popular choice at reputable salons.
4. Pay attention to glue and application
Glue should be formaldehyde-free and medical grade. If you have latex allergies, glue should also be latex-free. This is a no-brainier--I mean, the glue is coming in close contact with your eyeballs!
There should be a one-to-one ratio of eyelash to false eyelash, meaning only one false lash should be glued to each of your own lashes. Avoid clusters or strips, which can weigh own your lashes and cause damage. The individual lash should be glued directly to your eyelash, not your skin.
Pads will be placed over your lower lashes to make sure glue isn't accidentally stuck to them. Then you can basically take a two-hour nap and wake up with fuller, beautiful eyelashes. During that literal beauty sleep, your technician will carefully glue each eyelash, one by one, onto your own lashes.
Some nights, no matter how hard you try, it can be near impossible to fall asleep and stay sleeping the whole night through. I find this especially true for days when I'm particularly stressed - when it comes time to go to bed, I just can't seem to shut my brain off. When this happens, I've found a few little tricks that usually help me fall back asleep and get a good night's rest.
1. Get up and completely make your bed. This may seem a little backwards, but I usually can't get comfortable when my bedding is in disarray. Taking a few minutes to straighten up and tuck in your sheets will give you a nice comfy bed to crawl back into.
2. Adjust the temperature in your room. I like it to be freezing cold when I go to sleep, that way I can snuggle up under my covers and not get hot throughout the night. Whatever temperature you prefer, make sure your thermostat is set to the right degree for you to sleep comfortably.
3. Turn on some white noise. I always sleep with a fan on, not only for the cold (see the reason above), but also because it provides a nice amount of white noise that helps me to fall asleep. If you don't want a fan blowing on you at night, think about investing in a white noise machine or try out a sleep-inducing app - these usually have several different sounds, like light traffic, trickling water, or ocean waves.
4. Listen to relaxing music. Similar to watching relaxation videos, listening to soft music can be very calming and help lull you back to sleep. Try looking for playlists on Spotify of listening to new age artists, like Kenya.
5. Get something to drink. Simple though it may seem, enjoying a cool glass of water or a warm cup of chamomile tea might be all you need.
6. Turn to aromatherapy. Investing in a soothing pillow or room spray is not only a nice treat for your nose, but it can also help your mind and body relax enough to fall asleep.
7. Jot down your thoughts. Sometimes the reason you can seem to stay asleep is because you've just got too many thoughts floating around in your head. Keep a notepad or journal next to your bed for nights such as these - whenever your mind is filled with multiple to-do's and important things to remember, just jot them all down to be dealt with the following day.
8. Slow your breathing. Something that usually works for me is to slow my breathing down (breathe in for a count of 4, hold for 5, breathe out for 6)
What are some things you do when you can't sleep at night?
This might be a surprising topic coming from a beauty blogger, but I think it's important to feel confident without having to wear makeup 24/7. This is something I've struggled with since high school, and have just started to feel comfortable enough in my skin to go out without wearing a full face of makeup.
Just because you're not wearing makeup does not mean that you can't still make yourself look good. Here are 10 different things you can do to look fresh faced and presentable without the use of cosmetics:
1. Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water so your skin has a chance to naturally look bright and hydrated.
2.. Brush your hair every morning and night, and use products that help it stay shiny and smooth.
3. Keep your teeth brushed and flossed (use a whitening toothpaste if you feel you need help fighting stains), and make sure to show off that smile to everyone you meet.
4. Regularly exfoliate your lips with a bit of lip balm and sugar, and always make sure to apply a balm (tinted or sheer) several times a day for a healthy pout.
5. Mix up your own rose water facial mix for naturally dewy skin.
6. Groom your brows by plucking any stray hairs and trimming them so that they're more manageable and keep their shape (you can also use a little bit of aloe Vera gel to help keep wayward hairs in place).
7. Use masks formulated for your specific skin concerns so that you're more likely to have clear, radiant skin.
8. Play around with cute accessories that work well with your style.
9. Use cooling eye gels and moisturizers (try keeping them in the fridge!) to help wake your skin up in the mornings and battle redness and puffiness.
How do you make yourself look good without makeup?
Eyelash Extensions are fabulous but definitely not for everyone. Here are a few myths that you should be aware of and the truths about them:
* Extensions hurt – If they hurt something is wrong. They absolutely should not hurt. Lack of experience from a lash tech plus applying them too quickly and not allowing the glue to dry completely could be the reason. Make sure you go to a reputable lash artist for your lash extensions.
* Extensions damage your natural lash – If they are applied correctly they should not damage your natural lashes. Your lash technician should know the proper weight and length that your natural lashes can handle. Clusters are NOT lash extensions and are only temporary as in only a few days up to a week at most.
* Periodically have them removed and have a new set applied – Nope, this is false. Your natural lashes go through a life cycle that is 60-90 days in length. This means you are always growing new lashes and the extensions are falling out with the natural lashes. Putting on a new set periodically is costly for you.
* When the extensions fell out, it pulled the natural lash out – Actually the opposite is true. Your natural lash is falling out and taking the extension with it.
* There is no maintenance – Lash extensions are the same as getting false nails put on. There is regular maintenance. You need to get them refilled, keep them clean, no pulling or tugging at them. Any additional wear and tear will make them come out quicker.
* Extensions can last 2 months or longer – Since the life cycle of your natural lash is 60-90 days, each lash is in a different stage of this cycle. You may have a few stragglers that will hang on for dear life through the complete 90 days but the majority of your lashes will shed and regrow. It is recommended to refill the lashes every 2-3 weeks. Usually any time longer than that you will see them thin out and you will lose the full look.
* Extensions make your natural lashes shorter – After you have worn extensions for an extended period of time, you really have a distorted view of what your natural lashes look like. In actuality, your natural lashes really ARE short. That’s why you got the extensions in the first place.
P.S. Lash Extensions should be applied by a licensed professional.